The University Office for Diversity and Inclusion is very excited to launch and pilot the DEI Fellows Program for the 2021-2022 academic year. This new program is aimed at rising sophomores and rising juniors with an interest in proactively advancing diversity, equity and inclusion and culturally intelligent engagement at Carolina and in their home communities. Students will be coached by DEI experts to further develop their own leadership skills and competencies, receive mentorship by subject matter experts, engage in community-based active learning, and have the opportunity to take part in career networking, readiness, and planning. During the second semester, students will be placed with UNC offices, departments, schools, and business units throughout Carolina to apply their skills in a real-world setting.
DEI Fellows will also actively advise and influence decision-making within the University Office for Diversity and Inclusion (UODI) during monthly advisory meetings with the Chief Diversity Officer. DEI Fellows will act as liaisons and bridge builders between UODI and groups that include but are not limited to UNC’s DEI Council, student organizations, university leadership, cultural centers, caucuses, and the greater Chapel Hill community to foster a more equitable and inclusive campus and community. Finally, the DEI Fellows will be provided a great opportunity to build lasting relationships with campus administrators, local experts and a peer cohort comprised of other students interested in deepening their DEI knowledge and skills.
Responsibilities and commitment
- Develop personal capacity and competencies to support and facilitate equity programming.
- Engagement with diverse stakeholders to promote inclusive engagement and belonging at Carolina.
- Attend a required meeting once a week (Fall semester)
- Attend a required bi-monthly meeting (Spring semester)
- Engage in an active learning placement during the Spring semester (20 hours minimum commitment) to address emerging diversity and inclusion efforts.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Rising sophomores or juniors with a passion for leveraging diversity and inclusion efforts and understanding the importance of these endeavors inside and outside of the classroom setting.
- Seeking a diverse student cohort with representation across social identities (race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender expression, (dis)ability, religion, nationality/geographic origin, language use, socioeconomic status, first-generation, veteran/military, political ideology).
- Previous experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion work welcomed, but not mandatory.
- Applications Open: March 15-31, 2021 | Application closes at 11:55 p.m. EST on Wednesday, March 31, 2021
- Acceptances Shared: April 12, 2021
- Participation Confirmation: April 16, 2021
- Virtual Orientation and Welcome: Week of April 19, 2021
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS