Transforming our Vision and Goals into Action
“Carolina is taking actions that speak for our intentions. We will work together to create and sustain the kind of community where all feel welcomed, respected and free to pursue their goals and dreams. We are committed to coordinated processes and programs that celebrate all forms of diversity and build upon Carolina’s equitable and inclusive learning environment.” — Kevin M. Guskiewicz, Chancellor
Learn more about the chancellor’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion at UNC-Chapel Hill.
As the oldest public university in the United States, Carolina has a long tradition of producing highly engaged citizens and leaders, driven by an abiding ethos of service to community. The University has also played a pivotal role in building a stronger, more diversified economy for the people of North Carolina and beyond.
Carolina Next: Innovations for Public Good aims to turn the University’s vision and aspirational goals into readily understood, significant, implementable, measurable, strategic initiatives and opportunities.
The first strategic initiative of Carolina Next is “Build Our Community Together,” led by Vice Provost for Equity & Inclusion/Chief Diversity Officer Leah Cox and Chief of Staff for the Chancellor Amy Locklear Hertel. The initiative is composed of the following objectives:
Strategic Objective 1.1: Invest in policies, systems, and infrastructure that promote belonging, community and transparency throughout the University community.
- Deb Aikat, Associate Professor, Hussman School of Journalism and Media
- Sylvia Frazier-Bowers, Assistant Dean of Inclusive Excellence & Equity/ Associate Professor, Adams School of Dentistry
- Terri Phoenix, Director, LGBTQ Center
- Debbi Clarke, Associate Provost for Strategy and Special Projects.
Strategic Objective 1.2: Enhance the educational benefits of diversity, equity, and inclusion through effective student recruitment, enrollment, retention and graduation.
- Shauna Cooper, Associate Professor, Dept. of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Marcus Collins, Associate Dean, Center for Student Success and Academic Counseling;
- Yolanda Keith, Associate Director, Office of Undergraduate Admissions/Program Director, Carolina Advising Corps
- Shielda Rogers, Associate Professor/Associate Dean for Inclusive Excellence, School of Nursing
Strategic Objective 1.3: Prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion in teaching, research and service, and in hiring, evaluation, retention and promotion of underrepresented faculty and staff.
- Rumay Alexander, Professor, School of Nursing
- Sabrina Burmeister, Associate Professor/Director of Faculty Diversity Initiatives, Dept. of Biology
- OJ McGhee, Instructional Media Services Manager, Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Viji Sathy, Teaching Associate Professor, Dept. of Psychology and Neuroscience/Special Projects Assistant to the Dean of Undergraduate Education
Click here for detailed information about Build Our Community Together (BOCT).
- Updating Carolina Next (The Well, Jan. 25, 2021)