The University Office for Diversity and Inclusion launched the inaugural DEI Fellows Program during the 2022-2023 academic year. This one-year program is aimed at sophomores and juniors with an interest in proactively advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging at Carolina and in their home communities. DEI Fellows engage with DEI experts to further develop their own leadership skills and competencies, receive mentorship from subject matter experts through weekly workshops and panels, engage in community-based active learning, and take part in career networking and coaching. A sample list of previous workshops include:
- Foundations of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
- Social Identity and the Cycle of Socialization
- Activism, Advocacy and Diplomacy
- Managing Bias & Understanding Microaggressions
- Psychological Safety and Inclusion
- Radical Self-Care
- Reflections on Active Learning Placements
- Inclusive Employers & Mock Interviews
- Introduction to Intergroup Dialogue
During the second half of the program, DEI Fellows are placed with UNC offices, departments, schools, and business units throughout Carolina to apply their skills in a real-world setting.
“The DEI Fellows program has truly enriched my Carolina experience by providing an opportunity to learn about and make connections with programs and people across campus that I otherwise would not have known about. Through this networking and relationship building, I feel empowered to be a more inclusive advocate, organizer, and conspirator for change in my community.” – Georgia Broitman
DEI Fellows actively engage with the University Office for Diversity and Inclusion through monthly meetings with the Chief Diversity Officer and other leadership. Finally, the DEI Fellows program provides a great opportunity to build lasting relationships with campus administrators, local experts and a cohort of peers comprised of other students interested in deepening their DEI knowledge, skills and impact.
“As a first-generation, queer, Asian-American college student, the DEI Fellows program has shown me the value of my voice and my experiences. This program has provided me a space to share my lived experiences with others from similar backgrounds while building relationships through those connections. For me, DEI Fellows started off as a group of complete strangers from all different backgrounds. Now, all of those strangers are individuals who I can call family.” – Ben Tran
Second and Third-year students with a passion for leveraging diversity and inclusion efforts and understanding the importance of these endeavors inside and outside of the classroom setting.
Seeking a diverse student cohort with representation across social identities (Race, Ethnicity, Gender, Age, Sexual Orientation, Gender Expression, (Dis)ability, Religion, Nationality, Geographic Origin, Language Use, Socio-Economic Status, First Generation, Veteran/Military, Political Ideology).
Responsibilities & Commitment
- Develop personal capacity and competencies to support and facilitate equity programming.
- Engagement with diverse stakeholders to promote inclusive engagement and belonging at Carolina.
- Attend a required meeting once a week (Mondays 3:30–5:00 pm during Fall 2022 semester)
- Attend a required bi-monthly meeting (Every other Monday 3:30–5:00 during Spring 2023 semester)
- Engage in an active learning placement during the Spring semester (20 hours minimum commitment) to address emerging diversity and inclusion efforts.
DEI Fellow Application Information
We are not currently accepting applications.
Please check back! Applications will open for the 2023-2024 academic year in February 2023.
For Active Learning Supervisors | Spring 2023
DEI Fellows will work in cohorts of 2-3 in a culminating “action learning” placement to support the implementation of DEI-focused activities. This will allow the DEI Fellows to gain valuable professional experience applying their passion and skills in a real-life UNC-Chapel Hill setting and “matches” you with passionate aspiring DEI champions who are committed to fostering a stronger sense of belonging at Carolina. If you are interested in collaborating with a cohort of DEI Fellows in Spring 2023, please see more details below.
Important Dates for Placement Hosts:
- Host application Opens: September 30, 2022
- Matching Process (Host Placements and DEI Fellows): November 2022
- End of Program Celebration & Presentations: April 2023