Meditation and Prayer Rooms
To allow for religious observance and/or quiet contemplation, numerous spaces across campus are devoted to meditation and/or prayer. Please refer to the list below for a location that serves you best:
UNC Medical Center has four chapels and one meditative space, each open 24/7:
- The John M. Reeves All-Faiths Chapel – the main chapel, is located on the first floor of N.C. Memorial Hospital, just past the Department of Pastoral Care office.
- Broyhill Children’s Chapel – is located on the ground floor of N.C. Memorial Hospital, just past the main information desk center and the Cranberry Corner gift shop, as you are walking toward the N.C. Children’s Hospital.
- Burn Chapel – located just outside of N.C. Jaycee Burn Center, which is on the fourth floor of N.C. Memorial Hospital.
- N.C. Cancer Hospital Chapel and Meditation Room – both are located on the ground floor of the Cancer Center, just past the Resource Information Center.
- The UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus Chapel – is located on the first floor at UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus, adjacent to the visitor elevators.
The UNC Muslim Student Association provides two spaces at the Carolina Student Union, open during the academic year:
- Student Union Room 2510 – for Muslim prayer
- Student Union Room 2518 – for Jummah prayers
Fedex Global Education Center provides a quiet space for non-denominational meditation, reflection, or prayer:
- First floor, in the corridor adjacent to the EspressOasis Café
The Gillings School of Public Health provides a quiet room, available to all Gillings students, staff, and faculty, that can be reserved for meditation, yoga, prayer, reading quietly, power naps, and a safe place to find relief from daily stress and overstimulation.
- Room 016, ground floor of Rosenau Hall. Reservation required. 30-minute maximum use per reservation. Open 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., Monday through Friday
- There are two ways to reserve:
- You can block 30 minutes in Outlook by searching for “SPH Quiet Space” which will automatically book the room on the digital sign located next to the room once you have selected your desired time. When booking through Outlook, your name will display on the digital sign.
- If you wish to book the room anonymously, you can reserve time directly on the digital sign. We do ask that you limit your use to 30 minutes per reservation. The Gillings Quiet Room is open between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The Carolina Union provides a meditation space open to all UNC students, faculty, and staff. Multiple individuals and groups may use the space at the same time.