Each year the University recognizes people and groups that have given their time and effort to advance diversity, equity and inclusion at Carolina and in our surrounding community. As has always been the case, this work is vital as we build our community together.
There are six categories for which nominations are accepted. This year, one award will be given out for each. The categories are as follows:
- Undergraduate Student
- Graduate Student/Professional Student/Post Doc
- Intergroup Collaboration (an effort by units/groups/programs to bring together multiple perspectives to address a critical issue of diversity, equity and/or inclusion at Carolina or in the community)
Nominations for the 2022 Diversity Awards can be made using the button below.
The deadline for submissions is Friday, February 25, 2022.
The Diversity Awards ceremony is traditionally held in April each year. Due to COVID 19 closures, the event has been honored virtually for the last two years. Please check this space for updated information regarding a potential ceremony this spring.
For further information, please contact the University Office for Diversity & Inclusion at email@example.com.
The 2021 Recipients of the Diversity Awards
|KIRA GRIFFITH (’21)
|ANNA MANOCHA (’22)
Business Administration major
|LEARN ABOUT KIRA||LEARN ABOUT ANNA|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL STUDENT AWARD
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, School of Medicine
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
|LEARN ABOUT NIKEA||LEARN ABOUT CELESTE|
ALUMNI STUDENT AWARD
|FRANK TILLMAN III (’15, BA; ’19 PharmD)
PGY2 Psychiatric Pharmacy Resident
Department of Pharmacy, UNC Medical Center
|JANET EDWARDS (’95, BS, Pharmacy)
Senior Account Specialist for Respiratory Biologics,
|LEARN ABOUT FRANK||LEARN ABOUT JANET|
Director, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion;
Senior Technical Specialist,
Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute
Coordinator for Resiliency and Student Support Programs,
|LEARN ABOUT BETSY||LEARN ABOUT DEVETTA|
Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
Research Assistant Professor, Director of Diversity and Equity,
UNC-NCSU Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering
|LEARN ABOUT PRISCILLA||LEARN ABOUT KENNITA|
INTERGROUP COLLABORATION AWARDS
|THE JORDAN INSTITUTE FOR FAMILIES||CAPS MULTICULTURAL HEALTH PROGRAM|
|LEARN ABOUT THE JORDAN INSTITUTE FOR FAMILIES||LEARN ABOUT THE CAPS MULTICULTURAL HEALTH PROGRAM|
Diversity Awards in the News:
- 2017 Awards: http://www.unc.edu/campus-updates/nine-recognized-work-diversity-inclusion/
- 2016 Awards: https://diversity.unc.edu/2016-university-diversity-awards-recap-2/
- 2014 Awards: http://unc.edu/campus-updates/diversity-awards-2014/
- Click here to view 2020 Recipients of the Diversity Awards
- Click here to view 2019 Recipients of the Diversity Awards
- Click here to view 2018 Recipients of the Diversity Awards
- Click here to view 2017 Recipients of the Diversity Awards
2021 Diversity Awards Selection Committee
Dr. Erin Malloy, Director/Professor (CHAIR)
Medical School Education, Department of Psychiatry
Dr. Benjamin Frey, Professor
Department of American Studies
Patricia Harris, Director of Recruitment/Vice Chair Carolina Black Caucus
School of Education
Shahnaz Khawaja, Assistant Director, Resiliency & Recovery Strategies
Dr. Trevy McDonald, Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion/Associate Professor
Hussman School of Journalism and Media
Kathy Nguyen, Undergraduate Student
Psychology and Neuroscience
Josmell Perez, Director
Carolina Latinx Center
Dr. Terri Phoenix, Director
Dr. Annette Rodriguez, Assistant Professor
Department of American Studies
Hannah Spinrad, Campus Director
Dr. Deshira Wallace, Postdoc
Carolina Population Center
Kathy Wood, Director, Diversity & Student Success
The Graduate School
Nominations should reflect the ways a nominee has met at least one of the following criteria. Please note that awardees are eligible once every four years (though if an individual wins as part of an intergroup collaboration, they are still eligible for an individual award in another category in the future and will then be subject to winning only every four years).
- Served as an outstanding advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion at the interpersonal, unit and/or institutional level;
- Demonstrated a sustained commitment to the advancement of diversity, equity and inclusion at UNC-Chapel Hill and/or in the community through research, teaching, service and/or collaborative partnerships;
- Demonstrated a commitment to creating a culture of inclusion within their areas of influence and modeled respect or inclusive treatment when interacting with others; and/or
- Implemented an initiative, project and/or program that cultivates/advances/models diversity, equity and inclusion at Carolina or within the community.
Nominations are accepted in January and February of each year. Late submissions will not be accepted.
The award selection committee, comprised of faculty, staff and students, will engage in a review of applications and apply a broad definition of diversity and inclusion for the selection of finalists in each category. Award winners are notified in March each year.
For further information, please contact UODI at diversity.@unc.edu.