- This event has passed.
National Coming Out Day
October 9, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Provost’s Committee on LGBTQ Life at UNC recognizes the contributions all students, faculty and staff make to enrich our campus community. Wednesday, October 11, 2017 is National Coming Out Day, a day to celebrating coming out as lesbian, gay bisexual, transgender, queer or an ally. We encourage UNC’s schools, departments, centers and other campus units to recognize National Coming Out Day and to demonstrate their support for all LGBTQ identified students, faculty and staff and their allies. In the words of Chancellor Carol Folt:
“We are determined to chart a course where we can all work together to create and sustain the kind of community where we all feel welcomed, respected and free to pursue our goals and dreams and to become our best and truest selves. To realize that course, we must create a diversity structure that is coordinated and integrated, that celebrates all forms of diversity, and which ensures equitable and inclusive educational and social benefits for all.”
Recognition of National Coming Out Day can be demonstrated in any variety of ways:
- Sending messages from leadership expressing support for the University’s vision of inclusivity, including LGBTQ people.
- Sponsoring LGBTQ-related programming (speakers, symposia, curriculum development etc.).
- Limited funding is available from the Provost’s Committee (provost.unc.edu/committees-and-task-forces/committees-descriptions/provosts-committee-on-lgbtq-life/)
- Hosting gatherings for LGBTQ and ally students, faculty and staff.
- Encouraging research and teaching in LGBTQ-related areas of your discipline.
- Supporting LGBTQ student groups.
- Publicly displaying the LGBTQ Pride flag.
- Encouraging faculty and staff to participate in the UNC-CH Safe Zone Training (lgbtq.unc.edu/programs-services/safe-zone)
- Recognizing notable accomplishments by LGBTQ people and/or by allies affecting the LGBTQ community.
Click on the following, as needed: