Tar Heel Preview Day
Tar Heel Preview Day is an opportunity for 6th-8th grade males from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds to have a collegiate experience through interacting with college students, meeting academic faculty and staff, and receiving information about the college preparation process. The Tar Heel Preview 2017 will occur on Friday, November 3rd from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Students who attend Tar Heel Preview Day can expect to:
- Meet college students from diverse backgrounds
- See the Carolina campus
- Experience aspects of college life
- Get information to help plan for college
- Become excited about high school and college
Participation in Tar Heel Preview Day is by invitation only and attendance is by group only (individuals cannot attend). If you are interested in having your school or organization participate in future Tar Heel Preview Days, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tar Heel Preview Day Resources
- Information for middle school students
- Directions, Parking, and Schedule for Tar Heel Preview Day
- Frequently Asked Questions (please see below)
- Read about Tar Heel Preview Day
- Support Tar Heel Preview Day
Tar Heel Preview Day Sponsors
- The University Office for Diversity & Inclusion
- Carolina Parents’ Council Grant Program
- Division of Finance and Administration
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you need from chaperones first?
Registration sheets. In order to get packets and keepsakes made we need the registration spreadsheet submitted as soon as possible. Please return these to us by Monday, October 23. You can bring Permission slips with you to Tar Heel Preview Day on November 3.
What is the cost of THPD?
Attendance at THPD is free. However, schools/groups must handle their own transportation to and from UNC. We provide lunch, materials and parking during the event. For vans and cars that must park in the parking deck, we will provide a parking voucher at the end of the day.
Does UNC provide any reimbursement?
In order to provide the overall experience at no cost to as many students as possible, we are unable to provide reimbursement for THPD. However, we are happy to share the importance of the program so that you may use the information to make any request to your school system.
When do you need to provide permission slips?
You may submit permission slips via email with your registration or when you check in for Preview Day.
Where can I get information about where to bring students and park, or learn the schedule for the day?
You can go to Directions, Parking, and Schedule for Tar Heel Preview Day. This page includes a review of the day, addresses, and maps.
If a student cannot attend, can I substitute a different student?
While we prefer that only pre-registered students attend, we can register a different student during check-in. Please note that students registered on site may not receive any personalized items, they will receive a THPD packet like all other students.
Can I bring additional students?
Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate additional students. Catering, sessions, and materials are planned based on pre-registration. Additional students may not be able to receive materials or participate in the day of activities.
Where do I/we park for THPD?
Groups visiting UNC have two options:
- Bus – groups traveling by bus may be dropped off at the necessary location. However, the bus must be parked in the S11 (Manning Drive) lot across from the Dean E. Smith Center (Dean Dome, home of UNC Men’s Basketball).
- Car/Van – groups traveling by car or van should park in the closest paid parking area – Rams Head Parking Deck (33 Ridge Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514).
There is no cost for parking in S11. For groups that park in Rams Head Parking Deck, we will provide a parking voucher at the end of the experience.