Information for Educators and Counselors
The University Office for Diversity & Inclusion hosts numerous programs and initiatives throughout the year for students from middle school and up. This page is updated regularly with information regarding upcoming programs. The following information is geared specifically for educators and counselors to disseminate among their students to help publicize the summer opportunities we offer.
Project Uplift is a summer enrichment and college access program designed to promote and increase access to higher education for all outstanding students, especially those underrepresented in post-secondary education. Every year, during May and June, approximately 1,000 rising high school seniors participate in one of four separate Project Uplift sessions. During this two-day experience, Project Uplift participants live on Carolina’s campus, interacting with faculty, staff and current students, participating in educational, cultural and social activities. Project Uplift Scholars have the opportunity to immerse themselves in college life and experience the academic rigor and social climate of a four-year institution.
Uplift PLUS is an intensive, 5-week summer academic enrichment and college readiness program for Project Uplift participants. This program is only for NC residents. During the program, participants live on campus, attend SAT/ACT coaching sessions and take English 100 (3 credits). Participants also engage in college application prep, research, leadership development, as well as a wide variety of experiential learning opportunities. Students must attend Project Uplift to participate in Uplift PLUS. There is no separate application for Uplift PLUS. Students must indicate on their Project Uplift application whether they would like to be considered for Uplift PLUS.
How You Can Help:
- Identify students who are eligible to participate in these programs. Applications are welcome from students of any background.
- Use the enclosed flyers to promote Project Uplift to your students. Please post these around your school, make announcements and send this information via parent and student newsletters.
- Encourage students to apply for Uplift PLUS. A higher cost is associated with the Uplift PLUS program, but scholarships are available.
- FOLLOW UP:
- Check in with your students before February 1 to ensure they applied for Project Uplift and Uplift PLUS. THAT’S IT! Applicants will hear back by the end of March 2020.
Important Information for Project Uplift and Uplift PLUS:
Application Deadline: February 1, 2020
North Carolina Renaissance (NCR) is a pre-college summer enrichment program that enables high-achieving rising juniors from rural communities in North Carolina to experience college life on Carolina‘s historic campus. NCR is a four-day program that will inspire students to pursue their educational aspirations while developing unique leadership skills. Rural counties are designated Tier 1 or Tier 2 by the NC Department of Commerce.
How You Can Help:
- Identify students who are eligible to participate in this program. Applications are welcome from students of any background.
- Use the enclosed flyers to promote NC Renaissance to your students. Please post these around your school, make announcements and send this information via parent and student newsletters.
- FOLLOW UP:
- Check in with your students before March 1 to ensure they applied for NC Renaissance. THAT’S IT! Applicants will hear back by the end of April 2020.
Important Information for NC Renaissance:
Application Deadline: March 1, 2020