Pulso Scholars Program
About the Program
The Pulso Scholars Program is a comprehensive pipeline program specially designed to promote academic and professional success among Carolina students into medical school and other health professions. Scholars participate in a series of workshops, seminars and various hands-on opportunities aimed at providing academic, professional and cultural development, as well as overall preparation for applying to medical school or other health-related programs.
- ACADEMIC SUCCESS – Scholars participate in seminars, workshops, tutoring and course planning to prepare them to become the most competitive applicants to selective professional schools.
- NETWORKING – Scholars will meet and engage with faculty, administrators, alumni, and community leaders.
- COMMUNITY – Scholars will meet other Latinx medical students on campus and participate in outreach activities.
- COMPETITIVE APPLICANTS – Scholars will have the opportunity to shadow medical professionals, gain clinical exposure, tour various labs and obtain test prep.
Application Criteria and Timeline
- Sophomore Carolina Students are encouraged to apply
- Must have a 2.8 science GPA
- Required prerequisites:
- Bio 101 with a lab
- Chem 101 with a lab
- an additional math or science class
- Application Deadline: Closed for 2017/2018
- Each scholar will be paired with a first- or second-year medical student and will be expected to meet with their mentor at least twice per semester
- Each scholar will be expected to attend monthly workshops/seminars
- Wednesday, October 4th, 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 8th, 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 6th, 7:00 p.m.
- (Spring dates will be shared in January)
- Each scholar will be expected to participate in at least two clinical service opportunities, through LMSA
- Receive pre-health advising with members of UNC SOM/SOD admissions committee
- Participate in skills labs (drawing blood, patient simulations)
- Attend cadaver lab tours
- Attend the National Conference (those who have met requirements will have their fees covered)
- Receive mentorship
Diego Hipolito: email@example.com
Josmell Perez: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are now closed. Please check this site for updates.