We are pleased to announce the winners of the 11th annual Diversity Awards, which recognize individuals and groups who have given their time and effort to further diversity, equity and inclusion at Carolina and in our surrounding community. Please join the Diversity Awards Committee and the University Office for Diversity and Inclusion at a ceremony and reception honoring the following recipients of the 2019 Diversity Awards:
- Alumni – Howard Lee ’66, Chapel Hill’s mayor for three terms, Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, NC Senator for 10 years, Chairman of the NC State Board of Education and Executive Director of the NC Education Cabinet. In retirement, founded the Howard Lee Institute. He earned his Master’s degree in Social Work from Carolina.
- Staff – O.J. McGhee, Manager, Instructional Media Services, Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Faculty – (TIE) Deb Aikat, Associate Professor, School of Media and Journalism and Evan Ashkin, Professor, UNC Family Medicine, Founder, NC FIT program, Physician, Prospect Hill Community Health Center, Regional Medical Director, Community Care of NC
- Graduate/Professional Student – Mariel Marshall, Master’s student of Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling in Allied Health Sciences.
- Undergraduate Student – Jermaine Bryant (senior, Johns Creek, GA), a Classics major
- Intergroup Collaboration – Diversity and Student Success in the Graduate School.
The Diversity Awards Ceremony will take place on Monday, April 29, from 2-4 p.m. at the Current ArtSpace + Studio (123 W. Franklin Street). To RSVP, please click here (open until April 22).