Project Uplift FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions for Students
- Does my guidance counselor have to nominate me to PU?
No. While guidance counselors are encouraged to nominate students, you may apply on your own.
- I was nominated for Project Uplift. What’s next?
After being nominated by your guidance counselor, you can fill out the PU application form.
- I applied for Project Uplift online. What’s next?
After completing your online application, you will see a confirmation message. You will be notified of our decision by mid March 2017.
- I’m an out-of state student. Can I apply to Project Uplift?
Yes. Out-of state students may apply to Project Uplift.
- I’m not an ethnic minority. Can I come to Project Uplift?
Yes. Project Uplift is for high achieving students who are leaders in their communities and schools. Although we target students from historically underrepresented populations, if you have a strong interest in learning more about UNC, we welcome your application as well.
- Why should I apply to Project Uplift?
Project Uplift is a two-day program that introduces you to the Carolina experience. You will learn first-hand of UNC’s educational, cultural and social life, while engaging with undergraduate student leaders.
- What actually happens at Project Uplift?
You will have an opportunity to attend classes, talk with professors, meet students and participate in social, recreational and cultural events. You will also learn about admissions procedures and how to afford a college education.
- What are the benefits of attending Project Uplift?
Project Uplift allows you to experience Carolina for yourself and gain essential information. Project Uplift will challenge and encourage you to become a leader. You will leave wanting to know more about yourself and others and how to make the college experience work for you.
- Where will I stay if I am accepted into Project Uplift?
Living arrangements are provided in a University Residence Hall where you will share a room with another Project Uplift participant. Each participant will learn of their room assignment and roommate at on-site registration.
- Is there a fee for attending Project Uplift?
Students accepted into Project Uplift must pay a $35 non-refundable processing fee. Fee waivers are available upon request.
- Will Project Uplift guarantee my admission to UNC?
No. However, Project Uplift is one of many ways to learn the “ins & outs” of UNC and to help you throughout the application process.
- How do I upload my transcript to the application?
Ask your high school counselor to email you your transcript and then upload the file as an attachment to the application. Or, scan and email yourself a copy of your transcript and upload the file as an attachment to the application. If you are having trouble, email the transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org and submit the application without the transcript.
- When will I find out if I was chosen for Uplift Plus?
You will receive a separate communication if you were chosen for Uplift Plus within a week of your Project Uplift notification. You will only be notified if you are chosen to participate.
- What are the PU 2017 Program Dates?
May 25-27, 2017
June 1-3, 2017
June 8-10, 2017
June 15-17, 2017